Thursday, April 28, 2011

Self-Doubt


















I'm going to start today's post by quoting something from my guru, Sri Sri Ravi Shankar:

Question: Dear Guruji I doubt myself a lot, I doubt my skills, abilities and decisions. How to deal with self-doubt?
 

Sri Sri Ravi Shankar: How does one deal with self-doubt? Understand doubt: doubt is always about something that is good. Someone tells ‘I love you’, we ask them ‘Really?’, and they say ‘I hate you’, and we never ask ‘Really?’ So, a doubt is always about something good. We doubt our abilities; and never doubt our weaknesses. We doubt happiness, we never doubt misery. Isn’t it? Nobody doubts their depression. ‘But well, I’m not sure if I’m happy or not, well I'm not sure'.So when you understand that the doubt is always about something that’s positive, your mind shifts to a level, a different level altogether. Doubt is simply low prana. If you do more pranayama you will see that you have come about that.

--------------------

He is wise, indeed.  We all doubt ourselves from time to time, sometimes in large doses, sometimes but for a moment.  I guess we can take some solace in the fact that we are not alone in this.  But, though simple, his words express how easily we cling to the negative within ourselves and not celebrate the positive.  We isolate and believe with all our hearts in our own weaknesses.

However valued the humble trait may be, we also must remember to temper it by celebrating our strengths, and as for the weaknesses, we must believe that our own, honest and seeking progression through life will overcome them or accept them as merely being human.  As we learn and believe in ourselves, some of our weaknesses may dissipate, in fact, may turn into strengths. And such a gift is immensely powerful, as with our hindsight of learning and growth can give us great perspective with which to teach others who might be traveling the same path.

Sharing is a big part of what Sri Sri teaches.  But we must share love with ourselves before we share love with others.

For those interested in reading more of Sri Sri's teachings or about the Art of Living, you can find more here.  It's been a great blessing to me, and I've made many friends, including with myself:

www.artofliving.org

No comments: