Thursday, August 29, 2013

The Beauty of Books













Wow, what an awesome journey the past year has been!  I have so much to say as I continue to follow my Buddhist path; my heart is bursting with joy and gratitude, my mind expanding with new wisdom and insights.  But today, I simply want to share a lovely, funny story I heard.  It came to me from a dear and compassionate friend, just a few hours ago.

And it's a true story, making it all the more wonderful:


A woman writer had just completed her first novel.  She was overwhelmed with a sense of pride and accomplishment.  Soon after, she stopped by a book shop and told the clerk, "I just finished my first novel, and I'm so excited I had to share it with someone!"  The clerk smiled back in appreciation and exclaimed, "Wow, really?  That is awesome!"  The writer beamed with renewed pride and joy.  The clerk then asked, "So will you be buying your second book today?"

I just love this story on so many levels!  First off, I used to be a reading tutor, and I've supported literacy programs throughout my life in any way I can.  Reading is such an amazing gift, a window to the world, knowledge, other cultures, etc.  Literacy is something I'm passionate about.  But I'm also a writer and know that immense feeling of accomplishment when a new story is complete.  I can only imagine the pleasure and pride of completing a full-length novel.  It's so precious to me that this bookstore clerk celebrated what she perceived as the awesome achievement of reading one's first book.  The fact that we can so completely misunderstand each other is also entertaining to me.

As for the writer in this story, who is now an accomplished novelist with a string of bestsellers to her credit, I am certain she tells this story at her multiple book signings because it makes her fans laugh... but also because she learned from this experience.  I think this story reminded her to stay humble.   But it also highlighted the reason we writers write -- it's to be read!!  That's the ultimate goal, to share one's words through writing.  Without literacy, our words would fall on deaf ears, never reach anyone's heart or mind.

So please read a book today.  Better yet, read someone else a book who can't do it for themselves.  Better still, TEACH someone to read!

No comments: